RE: Vacuum advance - Clarification

Subject: RE: Vacuum advance - Clarification
From: "Randall Young" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 11:10:23 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "'Triumphs (E-mail)'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Exactly right.  On every car I've ever owned (including TR3s), the stock
setup is for the vacuum advance to be connected to 'ported' vacuum.  The
port in the carburetor (or throttle body) is positioned such that when the
throttle is closed for idle, the port is in front of the plate, and sees
little or no vacuum.  As soon as the throttle plate moves, it crosses over
the port, which now sees manifold vacuum.  So curb idle give no vacuum
advance, but somewhere around very fast idle the vacuum advance goes
(almost) to full advance.

To answer Jack's question : more vacuum gives more advance, but it's ported
vacuum, not manifold vacuum.

Unless of course you have a vacuum retard unit, which is another can of
worms, found only on cars imported to the US in the early to mid 70s.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver