Re: Wanted: Vacuum advance actuator for TR-4A

To: <worsley@yadtel.net>
Subject: Re: Wanted: Vacuum advance actuator for TR-4A
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 18:15:27 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
> I just found a company that will rebuild the advance units for $65 plus $5
> postage and they have cores for some if you don't have one.  It is M & G
> Vintage Auto Co.  (914) 753-5900

Joe,

I spoke with someone who bought one of the vacuum advance rebuilds from M&G.
It did not look like the original after restoration.  The stamped flange
which holds the two halves together was replaced with a band clamp of some
sort.  There was also some concern with the range of motion of the part, not
providing the same advance as the original.

It's important to note that my comments above are second hand.  I never saw
the part, but I do trust the mechanic who did, so you may want to verify the
appearance and operation with M&G.

Also, key point here, why you would want to spend the same or more money for
a rebuilt unit when Moss (and probably TRF, etc.) has them new for $50-$70,
depending on the application.

Later,

Jack Brooks
1960 TR3A