Oil / diesel emmisions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil / diesel emmisions
From: Neil Penberthy <n.penberthy@liant.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 14:10:47 -0500

As I believe I have mentioned in the past I have an interest in Harleys as
well as Triumphs. Harley Davidson sell their own oil which has the high
additive levels of the pre-catalytic convertor era oils. HD also suggest
Diesel-type oils (C type) as the next best alternative to their own oil. I
wouldn't be rushing to your local HD dealer though as the stuff costs
around $6 per quart!

Many riders on the Harley lists do not use HD oils and have had no problems
with automobile oils and synthetic oils as alternatives. I suspect that as
long as you change oil frequently and use the vehicle regularly that any
brand name oil will do. YMMV

I have read that the main problem with diesel emissions is the high carbon
particle output (smoke I presume) and not the NOx compounds that gasoline
engines pump out. I recall the European commission was going to recommend
that diesel vehicles filter their emissions rather than use a catalytic
convertor. The may not have proceeded with this, my information dates from
when I lived in the UK (7 years ago)

Regards

Neil

69 Triumph TR6