re: Compression readings

To: KincerC@area.abcbank.com
Subject: re: Compression readings
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 13:33:24 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi,

If you're seeing 60 PSI at every "hole", then you def. have a problem.

Are you sure your gauge is okay?? There's usually some variance between
each cylinder.

But you mention blue smoke on decelleration and "rich running" condition
indicated by dark deposits on your plugs.

I'm sorry to say - your rings are bad. To be certain, get a leak-down test
performed. This will prove where the compression loss is occurring.

Speech mode on:

If you had a shop replace the rings, and they did nothing else, I would not
be surprised that your rings aren't "seating". In order to assure long life
from your rings, you need to do a few things.

First, when the pistons are out, you need to perform a careful measurement
of each and every bore. Then, assuming the bores are okay, you need to hone
the cylinders or otherwise assure that there's a "crosshatch" pattern in
the cyl. walls for oil to cling to. You then need to measure the rings'
"end gap clearance" to make sure you aren't introducing more blow-by with
rings that are gapped wrong.

Finally, the break in of the rings is pretty important. You need to avoid
constant-speed cruising the first few hundred miles, otherwise, the rings
could take a "set" and then you can get blow-by (or worse).

If you're trying to save a few bucks by just replacing the rings, I'm
afraid you've discover the meaning of "false economy". I have replaced
rings in the past, but I made sure the holes were round and there was no
"taper" in the bores and then _lightly_ honed the cylinders to "break the
glaze". 30K miles hence, the compression is still good, but I take my motor
apart more than most of you guys probably do.

Speech mode off.

Sorry bud, looks like your ring job caused more problems than it solved.

regards,
rml