Re: TR3 hardtop,ashtray...and judson supercharger

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 hardtop,ashtray...and judson supercharger
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 17:05:14 -0700
Bill :

There are good instructions for installing the hardtop in both the
factory manual, and the Haynes.

Judson Superchargers show up on eBay every once in a while, but bring
lots of $$$.  An incomplete, used unit sold recently for some $1200,
while a rebuilt, complete unit brought over $1600.

Can't help with the ashtray.  Contrary to Bill Piggott, none of my TR3As
had one (and I've owned or disassembled some 8 different cars).

I use Valvoline synthetic (which is probably equivalent to Mobil 1) in
my TR and Chevy.  So far, it seems to work quite well, and it
dramatically reduced oil consumption in the high-mileage Chevy.  I can't
really tell the difference in the TR, since it mostly leaks oil instead
of burning it.

I've heard from enough people with personal experience with rings not
seating when using synthetic for break-in, that I'm inclined to believe
it's not just an urban legend.  Still, it's my belief that a properly
machined engine with modern rings should not require seating of the
rings, and in fact none of the engines I've ever built has shown any
signs of this happening.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver