RE: kent cam lube

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: kent cam lube
From: Gernot von Hoegen <avac@totalise.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 13:12:38 +0100
>===== Original Message From nick glase <jng2@cornell.edu> =====
>hey yall,
>i'm currently rebuilding a 79 spitfire 1500 motor. i've installed a new
>kent cam and used a lot of cam lube on the cam and followers. any ideas if
>this is good stuff to use in other parts of the engine (ie. my new lower
>end bearings & thrust washers)? thanks,
>
>nick glase
>79 spitfire

Now I wouldn't use it for the bearings, but for the thrust washers.
Reasoning behind it is as follows: Idea for thrust washers and cam is to
develop as little wear as possible on the hardened surfaces while carefully
running them in. (not that proper running in for the cam would be called
careful for the bearings anyhow). The mains and big ends however are supposed
to wear off so as to form the ideal mating surface with the hardened crank
whereas the crank is not supposed to wear at all.

In short: cam lube imho is too thick to be an ideal lubricant for big end and
mains start up.

  Sachverständige für das Kraftfahrzeugwesen
             Rütscher Str.22
               52072 Aachen
                 Germany
Tel. (0044) 0241/159406 Fax (0044) 0241/159972
        Mobil (0044) 0171/5283280
Website http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/1048