412 VC

To: "Spitfires List" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: 412 VC
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 22:40:11 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Listers

I don't know how many of you have seen pictures of the very
early Mk 1 Spitfires as first announced. I dare say Mr.
Robson has included a picture or two in his tomes - but one
of them bore the registration (licence) 412 VC and was a UK
Press car.

Today, I visited a former colleague, Pete Clarke - at his
home. Pete is a true Triumph engineer and was one of the
very few people who actually developed and worked on the
engines of the 1964 Le Mans Spitfires. With those
credentials to his name, it seemed entirely appropriate that
as I am now fast approaching "critical mass" on the head
from my PI saloon, that Pete was the person to see. I
arrived at his home and apart from being greeted by a most
affable Jack Russell by the name of Bramble - and Pete as
well - we approached the garage door. Up it went and there
it was - 412 VC!

It's a bit different now to what it once was. After leaving
the Press fleet, an employee bought it for racing and then
Pete acquired it. It's still got an 1147cc lump under the
bonnet though these are now breathing through two twin choke
Webers (I think) and there are other rather fundamental
differences to it both bodily and mechanically - but under
the skin, it's still "old 412 VC" and the better part of 36
years old!

Thought you'd like to know ...

I understand that on a fine day (which today wasn't) and
with a fair wind, the pistons and associated reciprocators
can still be persuaded to churn out about 110bhp. Be
assured, its still in lovely condition and I am assured is
in NO way FOR SALE.

Cheers
Jonmac
John Macartney