Re: tr4 overdrive

To: "padraic mullin" <paddyfm@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: tr4 overdrive
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 20:29:37 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Paddy,

Never fear, the testing is easy. It doesn't work for one of two reasons,
electric or hydraulic. Ok, three reasons. It might need adjustment!

Testing the electrics is easy. Key on, engine off. Select 4th gear. Cycle
the OD switch. Do you hear the loud click? If not, the worse case scenario
is you need a new OD operating solenoid, a tad over $100. But it is
probably just a connection somewhere, the operating relay went bad or a bad
inhibitor switch. Still, and easy fix. Remember, the OD operating solenoid
is repairable.

So you heard the loud click and it still won't engage. First, I'd check the
gearbox oil. You said you just changed it. Is the right amount of the right
oil STILL IN the gearbox? Let's assume it is.

The gearbox cover has to come off now. Look at the operating lever on the
OD. It's the thing the solenoid is attached to. Key on, engine off, 4th
gear. Throw the OD switch again. On the right side of the OD unit is an
extension of the operating lever. The little bar should be moving forward
as the OD solenoid engages. If it does not, there is an adjustment that
needs attention. If it does, continue...

The brave and foolhardy will take a quick test drive. Secure empty any
objects that might fall out of the cockpit as we are going for a ride
without the gearbox cover! Keep everything clear of the moving parts!!! The
safe and sane will jack up the rear axle and set it securely on jackstands.

Select third gear and run the car at about 35 to 40 MPH, and using your
hand on the operating lever on the right side of the OD unit, push the
lever forward. The OD should kick in. Look at the speedo or the output
flange for the speed increase. It can be hard to tell if it engaged with
the engine noise.

If it kicked in when manually moving the lever, but not when the solenoid
engages, you need to adjust the operating lever.

If it did not kick in when manually moving the lever, change the oil again
(you are using the correct weight and amount of oil, right???), make sure
the screen is clean. This would be a good time to hope, pray, pay homage to
your favorite TV evangelist, or offer a sacrifice to the God of Laycock
Overdrives.   :-)

If you get to this point with a non-operative OD get back to us...

At 03:58 PM 10/27/99 -0700, padraic mullin wrote:

>HELP!!!
>while driving home today @ about 65mph, the overdrive disengaged for no
>reason & i can't get it to reingage...it worked fine this morning & i just
>changed the trans oil last week...any insight is greatly needed
>thanks
>pfm

  Henry Frye - thefryes@iconn.net - Connecticut, USA
  Stag MkI      Getting Sorted Out
  TR3B          Driver
  TR4           Not For The Street!
  TR250         The BIG Project - Will Be Worth the Wait
  Homepage      http://members.iconn.net/~thefryes/