BASIC TIMING QUESTION

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: BASIC TIMING QUESTION
From: nick glase <jng2@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 12:52:23 -0400
fellow listees,
i'm currently rebuilding a spitfire 1500 motor. i've renewed almost every
single  part that could wear (including crank and cam sprockets and timing
chain). my haynes manual said that the correct cam postition to parallel
the crank's TDC was where the cyl. no. 4 "exhaust is just begining to close
and the inlet is just begining to open." well i took my dial calliper and
precisely found this position. however, when reinserting the chain, the
accuracy is sacrificed a bit by the limited number of cogs on the chain
(it's probably a good 3-5 degrees off). this is my first from scratch
engine rebuild. can anyone offer some good fool proof timing tricks?

thanks in advance,

nick glase

79 spitfire