Re: Was improvement list, now shipwrights disease!

To: dixie4@wales.freeserve.co.uk, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Was improvement list, now shipwrights disease!
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 18:54:00 EST
dixie4@wales.freeserve.co.uk writes:

<< I was extremely interested in your views, but the restoration I envisage on
 my TR4A is back to original as it left the factory. This is no by no means
 going to be easy as the car came from Davy Crocket Land with some strange
 'improvements'.

 For instance mag alloys with cross ply tyres!, dechromed of all but the rear
 bumper (which turned out to be a front one), painted Canary Yellow with
 black 'go-faster' stripes, TR6 seats, etc etc. It's saving grace is that
 there is minimal rust and it has only covered 65K miles.

 Regards
 Adrian

Fair comment.
I have nothing against original cars, indeed in some ways they are more
difficult to achieve that modified/improved cars.
Nothing much you buy for it will fit, that is guaranteed whether they be
original parts, reproduction original parts or more modern improved parts.
It is the nature if the beast I am afraid.
(on the other hand, where would the challenge be otherwise?)
In fact it happens so often that whilst I was rebuilding/building my Triumph
Vitesse, I almost re-christened it the "Triumph Didn'tfit"
I trust that you are a member of the TR Register, as they are a very valuable
source of advice and parts for TR's of all types, and I for one would not
attempt a restoration without being a member of that organisation.
BTW, I have judged and valued cars here in the UK, in America and Africa on
many occassions, and in my opinion you will find that you can obtain many
parts for your TR4A from America at much lower prices than over here in the
UK.
After all, they got most of them.
Finally, I would say that the TR range of cars perhaps bear restoring to
original specification rather better than the Herald/Vitesse range, as they
can be a better starting point, as so many rust-free examples have returned,
and are returning from the USA, thanks to the strong pound at the moment.

To paraphrase Mark Twain
"Invest in Triumphs, (land), because they have stopped making them, (it)."

Best Regards
Léon
(self-confessed Triumph modifier!, or is that improver?)

Triumph Sports Six Club
International Liaison Secretary
1963 Triumph Vitesse 2-Litre Convertible