Hello fellow listers,
Today I worked on removing the drums from my TR3.
I read the past posts from the list.
I read the shop manual.
I read the articles in the Triumph pages.
I got my tools out:
1/2 inch drive air impact hammer.
APEX 485-5X 5/16" Slotted driver bit.
5/16" hex bit to 1/2" impact driver adapter.
Left hand drill bit to drill out retaining screws.
Brass headed striking hammer.
Put the screwdriver bit to the screws and ...
Out they come. Not a problem. Rather anti-climatic. I was looking
forward to using the blue wrench on them. :-)
I believe the real key was that I had Kroiled the screws each time I visited
the car since October. Using a properly sized bit didn't hurt either.
Now to pull off the drums. Right rear, one or two light taps and it is off.
Left rear. Won't come off. Won't spin. Brake adjuster all the way out
and nary a budge. Can rotate about 1/4 inch. Rotate, tap, rotate, tap,
repeat about 10 minutes. Drum finally comes off.
Look at the brakes. Drums are nice, not scored. Shoes still have some
lining on them.
The shoe hold down pins are missing. Now I know why it took 3 grown
men to push the TR3 into the garage. Good thing I decided to rebuild the
brake system before driving.
Next job. Find out why the starter will not engage the ring gear.
57 TR3 TS21383L