WestCo Gel-Filled batteries - made by Matsushita Battery Industrial of J

To: "INTERNET:GuyotLeonF@aol.com" <GuyotLeonF@aol.com>
Subject: WestCo Gel-Filled batteries - made by Matsushita Battery Industrial of Japan
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 20:17:29 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Stephen Phillips <Stephen@f-phillips.freeserve.co.uk>, FOT <fot@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by INTERNET:GuyotLeonF@aol.com
>Some manufacturers are even pushing wheelchair batteries for replacement
in
>the Miata! I don't think I like the connection.

This is exactly the thing I was referring to in an earlier post.  Wheel
chair batteries are designed for severe charge/dischage cycles.  The plate
design is optimized for that purpose and not for high amperage draws
required for starting a car.  Since the paltes have a higher resistance
heat is generated and the heat can produce enough pressure in a sealed
battery to "Pop" the caps off and possible spew acid onto your lovely
luggage.

Besides, wheel chair batteries are over $100 (US) (for group 24)

Just a friendly warning.

Dave