Re: Royal Blue ~ concours

To: <SJagGo@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Royal Blue ~ concours
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 00:01:41 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
Bill Brockschmidt wrote:

I will soon be painting my 1963 Mk1 Spitfire.  The Thomason restoration books
states that royal blue was introduced as a Spitfire color in 1964.  Does
anyone know if this color was available as a special order for earlier
Spitfires?  Was it available on any other Triumphs?  There is a gentleman
from Australia, John Broadbent, that lists a royal blue 63 Spit on the
database.  If a 63 royal blue spit were entered in a Triumph concours event
would it receive a deduction for incorrect color?

Bill - I can't remember when Royal Blue came into production but it was quite
common for
colours in the Triumph range to be limited to certain models. What this means
is that
Royal Blue (while listed as available for say a Herald, Vitesse or 2000) might
not have
been a standard colour for the Spitfire. It might have been made available a
year or so
later. However, it was possible to order a car in a standard Triumph colour
even if it
wasn't listed as available for that model. An extra charge was made. Also, it
was possible
to order a non-standard combo of standard body and trim colours - again for an
extra
charge. For a number of years, Black was never a listed colour but Black
painted cars
could be ordered, They were only painted on Friday afternoons as Saturdays saw
the paint
lines being purged as part of the weekend maintenance schedule in the
paintshop. Once the
last car was painted, the lines were plugged on to a bulk thinners supply and
flushed
through. Apologies for this extra info - I know you didn't ask for it.

Andy Mace's reply gives you pretty clear guidelines.

Jonmac

IN THE SHADOW OF MY FATHER http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/triumphbook
The SLOW progress with 'Canley Girl': http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/
Triumph Charity Run in 2000 (in UK): http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/stories/