Wiper wheelbox R&R

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wiper wheelbox R&R
From: Bill Kelly <bk54@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 00:55:59 -0500
Help!

I'm trying to remove the chrome-plated nut that holds the wiper wheelbox
to the car. The bushing it threads onto (part of the wheelbox) turns
when I turn the nut. Yup, there's corrosion in the threads. But it's not
your Standard Triumph rust. The bushing is non-ferrous (pot metal?). The
nut is chrome plate over brass.

Does anybody know what kind of alien chemistry I'm dealing with? More to
the point, what do I soak it in to loosen the nut? 3 good soakings in
'Snap Rust Buster' haven't budged it, but hey, it's not rust!

This is a replacement wheelbox - I cut the nut off the trashed original
to get it out of the car. Immersion IS an option. But in what?

Bill Kelly
'68 TR250, on the mend
'62 Herald, on the road