Fishy Parts From VB

To: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Subject: Fishy Parts From VB
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 06:34:57 -0500
Cc: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Jeff writes:
>I've had two strange experiences with Victoria British recently and I'd
like to
know if these are isolated incidents or the start of a trend.

>The first item was a replacement fan for my generator.  It had
>several scratches and even some beginning surface rust. Since this part is
>something that isn't crucial in terms of cosmetics, I kept it.

My guess is that these fans are shipped in bulk (the whole bunch tossed
into a
box without packing or individual wrap) and were rubbing against each other
in transit.  And they received marginal paint, just like the factory parts!
 They
are, as you say, not cosmetic.

>Today, I received a set of four chromed two-eared knock-offs.  Every one
had
>some sort of scratch on it.  Two of them appeared to have dirt or grease
>around the outermost thread.  One had just a minor scratch that was barely
>noticeable.  The others had scratches QUITE noticible (I think I'll post a
>picture on my web page later, maybe.  Now the STRANGE thing is that these
>scratches seem to be UNDER the chrome plating surface.   What goes on
here?
>While I won't go so far as to say they are used (there isn't any evidence
of
>hammering along the ears), I'm beginning to wonder if they are "2nd's".

You're probably right.  Good enough is rather subjective and if you are
running a
driver they will probably do.  If you are preparing a concours or show car
you
might have to pay full retail for perfect ones.  Depends on your goal at
this point.
And after a year or two of driving you probably whouldn't be able to tell
the
difference.

Dave