TR6 carbon canister renewal?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 carbon canister renewal?
From: Glenn Rattmann <k6na@cts.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 12:56:49 -0800
For 1974 (or later) TR6 listers,
I have been told by a local friend we can renew the carbon material inside
the "smog" canister.  My factory manual says only that one end unscrews,
revealing a circular fibrous filter element which I think I can just wash
out.  Under it is a metal screen on a 3-arm plastic frame, which I can
rotate very slightly, but which doesn't appear to want to pop out or turn
much.  Carbon granules appear to be behind this metal screen, so I assume
the screen needs to come out.  I don't want to fracture anything.

Does the metal screen really come out, or is the main part of the canister
just a throw-away part?  I would like to renew the material inside if
possible.  Yes, both my California cars have the original emission systems
intact.

Thanks for advice...
Glenn
74.5 TR6 X 2