followup: radio

To: "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: followup: radio
From: "John A. Simmons" <jsimmons@intrepid.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 01:20:19 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
First let me say thanks to all the people who explained to me how external
amps work.  I had several requests for feedback to my search for a radio
that could be installed in the dash support cutout without modification.  I
got a radio/cassette from Custom Autosound, model USA-1.  As advertised it
fit perfectly with no cutting.  The power rating at 4 x 16 watts, so I
decided to skip the external amp, and the loud undistorted sound indicates
that the rating may be close to accurate.  The radio is chrome with chrome
knobs and generally looks like a radio from the '70's.  Lots of features and
excellent sound and they even put a Triumph logo on the cassette flap.  For
the same reasons I didn't want to modify the dash support cutout, I didn't
want to cutout speaker holes in the doors or the rear deck.  I also didn't
want to place 6x9 surface mounted speaker on the rear deck since I use it
for storage, didn't like the look, and it screams 'steal me'.  What I ended
up doing was using 5 1/4" inch speakers in the kidney pads (Kenwood model
1386) and Pioneer surface mount speakers (model TSX 200).  The Pioneer
speakers were just the right size that they fit on the floorboard behind the
seats with the seats adjusted all the way back (placed with the drivers
pointed up and secured with velco) and if your interior is black they are
almost invisible.  I didn't expect much but I was suprized, the Pioneer
speakers had excellent sound and bass response.  Combined with the Kenwoods
in the kidney pads the "parked" sound is excellent.  It will be awhile
before I test it at 60mph plus since it has snowed and the roads are salted.

John, '71 TR6
Berkeley Springs, WV