Re: TR6 PI fuel smell in trunk

To: "triumphs list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 PI fuel smell in trunk
From: "J.H. Roulleaux" <Jean.Rouleaux@skynet.be>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 20:36:08 +0100
From:                   "Ian Viles" <ianviles@derbysmoths.freeserve.co.uk>
To:                     "triumphs list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject:                TR6 PI fuel smell in trunk
Date sent:              Mon, 24 Jan 2000 20:08:30 -0000
Send reply to:          "Ian Viles" <ianviles@derbysmoths.freeserve.co.uk>

My TR6 PI was started up yesterday after not being used for 3 weeks. On
opening the boot (trunk?) I noticed a strong smell of petrol. There are no
obvious leaks. Any suggestions as to where I should begin/order of
investigation would be welcome.
TIA
Ian Viles
Derbyshire

Hello Ian,
I don't know if you are a member of the TR Register and a reader of
TR Action the club magazine. During the years an FAQ in the
magazine treated the problem you are experiencing. The TR6 PI
boot houses quite a lot of fuel injection components like  filter,
pump ,PRV and a lot of rubber fuel hoses. As the tank area is open
, only seperated by a hardboard panel, to the boot it's very hard to
prevent fuel smell in the boot. Even by replacing all old rubber
hoses fuel smell will remain. Very often it's produced by the
sweating  of the connectors that while not leaking often feel wet
when touching. You know that some lines are pressurized around
115 psi and they use special seals in the connectors.Replacing
hoses and seals may help a little, but I doubt that the problem will
be totally solved. I have fitted a battery switch to my 6 and I keep
the boot open a bit by puttinh a small block of wood under the lid
when my car is garaged. I'm sorry but I have no better suggestion.
Jean R
TR6 PI - TR3A - Land Rover Freelander