Re: *!#% Rear Studs.

To: Keith McGahan <keithmcgahan@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: *!#% Rear Studs.
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 15:51:11 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Keith McGahan wrote:

> How to I get these things off? I spend all day Sunday try to get the rear
> studs off and got nothing to show for it but a bloody finger. Is there a
> special Tool? Thanks

Get some dremel abrasive wheels (cylindrical- 1/2" - 3/4" diameter, 1/2"
deep, coarse as possible).  If you can get suitable bits for a die
grinder, use that instead.  I prefer a Dremel is best because it won't
take your arm off when it kicks.

You need to grind away the last 1/8" of the back of the stud to get it
out.  They are threaded, 7/16"NF, just like the lug side- but peened
("Bashed With BFH") to lock them in place.

Wear a full face mask and work slowly.  You'll probably burn out several
of those little dremel wheels (and possibly several of those little dremel
tools :-))

Once you've taken off enough metal from the stud, put jam nuts on it (or
Vise-Grips), and undo it.  (Sounds easy, right?  It's not)  I also cooked
the stud a couple of times with the oxy-acetylene torch, but still had to
grind away most of the metal.

It's a lot easier to do with the hubs out, I hear.  I snapped a stud and
didn't feel like pulling the axle.  Wish I'd snapped a front one :-)

To set the new studs in, either have someone arc weld a patch on the new
ones, or take tradition in hand and bash the threads a bit to mushroom
them in.  Personally I used JB weld, but I don't think it held very well
(I'll be trying a more 'industrial' epoxy next)

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm