Dangerous lesson in humility

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dangerous lesson in humility
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 07:58:41 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hello all,

This is my second attempt to post this message.  For some reason, it didn't
post to the list when I first submitted it last night.

In a nutshell, I had a humiliating, embarrassing and potentially
life-threatening accident yesterday on only my third day of driving my '67
Spitfire Mk3.  The entire incident was brought on by my own inexperience,
incorrect parts (that I assumed were correct) and a series of amateur
mistakes that I totally blame myself for.  I'm fortunate that the
combination didn't cost me more than 16 wheel nuts, four wheel studs and
some minor fender damage.

In the interests of helping others avoid similar peril, I've set my pride
aside and documented the accident:

http://www.ohms.com/spitfire/hard_lesson.shtml

I hope that someone can avoid a similar experience by reading this.

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego "learning as I go -- sometimes the hard way"
'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones".  We've still got a "thing" going
on -- just gotta figure how to keep them from falling off...