Stromberg tuning

To: "triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stromberg tuning
From: "David Lee" <davelee1@home.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 12:47:58 -0800
Hello all
For three days Ive been trying to tune my carbs.
I have had very little experience tuning SU's.  Strombergs I have never
touched.  Since the tuning seems similar I decided to give it a whirl.

Im pretty sure I have sync'd the airflow but setting the mixture is really
giving me a hard time.
I have been using the method of lifting the valve and adjusting the jets the
best I can but the car still doesnt run properly.  The worst part is that
the car tends to overheat during adjusting.  I have reached a point where
the car idles okay but when driving it is very sluggish, hesitates, and then
overheats right away.

My best guess is that it is too lean.  When adjusting the mixture turning it
a flat or even several flats seems to have little effect.  I have read the
tips on the archive and am following directions from the shop manual.  Any
suggestions or tips on making this easier?

I havent checked for vaccum leaks since the car ran alright before I touched
the carbs.  The reason I touched them in the first place was that I had a
feeling they were a little too lean.

When turning a flat or two is the change supposed to be quite noticeable?  I
havent the experience to give me confidence in what I am doing.

Thanks for your help
David Lee
64 TR4