* Instrument Gaskets *

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: * Instrument Gaskets *
From: "Brazinski, Wayne" <Wayne_Brazinski@compuware.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 10:39:40 -0500 charset="iso-8859-1"
The gaskets in my instruments (TR3A) were rubber and also crumbly.  In fact
I'm looking to source nex ones!

Wayne
Plainfield, IL
TS 78910 L

You Wrote ---

Jim,

This whole sorted tale starts with a bad tach cable with the needle
bouncing violently between 0 and redline.  This occurred until the
needle fell off the pin in front of the tach behind the glass.  I
couldn't stop to take care of the problem as I was late to pick up one
of my kids.  Therefore the tach had to come out and be disassembled to
fix the needle first and clean out the instrument.

Once removed from the dash, the chrome cover is easily removed by
twisting the tangs into the openings and removing the chrome piece.
But on my tach (and subsequently the speedo) there is what appears to
me to be a cork gasket all the way around behind the chrome.  The
gasket sits behind the chrome ring and supports the instrument in
front of the dash.  From my measurements it was 1/8 inch thick.  The
gasket from the tach completely crumbled with any attempt to remove
it.  The one from the speedo came out in one piece with gentle
persuasion, so I used that as the template for a new gasket since I
did not see this piece in any of the catalogs from the big 3.

It also appears that the small gauges in the instrument panel also
have a gasket behind them.  Although I will do those at a later date.

perhaps others on the list can comment as to the presence or absence
of a gasket like material behind the chrome pieces.

Erkan