Re: Question

To: cartr4a@mpdr0.chicago.il.ameritech.net
Subject: Re: Question
From: "Robert M. Lang" <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 16:03:53 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi,

If mjb wants to chime in on this one, he'd be the most knowlegable person
for the question.

But the answer is that a lot of ISP's limit the amount of storage that
individual users have on the mail servers... as you may guess, there's two
important issues here:

1. if the server fills up, you can't get any new mail. This is bad, because
the server then sends a message to the sender saying: "The server if full".
Now, depending on the configuration of the mail server, the resulting
"conversation" between the sender and the reciever can get, well "chattie"
and nobody gets anything done.

So, a long time ago the various lists on autox.team.net were configured to
ignore those messages.

Also note that although aol.com is a "quality service", the 21 million
people on it are quite capable of causing all sorts of problems for mail
list administrators... end of story.

Hi Mark!

2. lots of us still read our triumphs lists or whatever over dial up lines.
As you can imagine, even with sophisticated users, graphics compression and
other "wonderful things", if they did allow attachments to go to the list,
we'd all have to give up actually working on our cars or obtaining parts
for them because of the gigantic phone bills resulting from the megabytes
of stuff that might be sent "to the list".

So, if you have a picture - send us a URL. If we really care, we'll punch
it into our Lucas Browsers and take a peek. The result: we don't go
bankrupt looking at pictures of other folks' pride and joys due to massive
phone bills.

Later,
rml
TR6's