Re: Hub nuts -- the debate rages on

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hub nuts -- the debate rages on
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 18:54:04 -0500
iron_horse819@yahoo.com wrote:

> --- Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com> wrote:
> >

> > >I then called Spitbits and spoke to Nigel, who said that the adapter nuts
> > >are indeed shorter in thread length by maybe 3/16", but that only one side
> > >is beveled and that he's never heard of dual beveled hub adapter nuts
> > >before.
> >
> > Jeff,
> >
> > When I converted I used the double bevel nuts from TRF and they worked
> > fine... torqued down solid.  Folks on the list told me I should use them and
> > I thought that they were shown in the TR4 workshop manual and Haynes.
> >
> > Brian Sanborn
> > '62 TR4 CT16260  Groton,MA
> > TR4 Website www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn/home.html
>
> I'll add my 2 cents worth here (if it's worth that much even!) ... my '65 TR4A
> has had knock-off alloy wheels since new, and the adapters are held on double
> bevel nuts ...
>
> =====
> Raymond L. Hatfield
> '65 TR4A IRS
> Little Rock, AR
>
> Come visit the TR4/TR4A Website:
> http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/5405
> Do You Yahoo!?

Those who have chimed in on the double bevel nut thing have all had big TR's
with the
4 on 4 1/2 bolt circle, and yes, these do generally wear a double bevel nut
just as
Dave H. at TRF said.  Since the Spit is a smaller bolt circle, the adaptors are
different and the wheel studs are different as well, so the nuts won't be the
same
from a TR-4/6 to a Spit.  Nigel is a pretty smart cookie when it comes to Spit
stuff.
If he says his nuts are short with only one bevel, I'd bet that's what you
should use.

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars