Re: TR6 clutch diagnosis

To: "List Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 clutch diagnosis
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical-iwnet@lineone.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 18:10:20 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
Hi all
Yes the reason they break is old age and cycle expiry (too many pedal
pushes). I had the master cylinder spring snap on a Dolomite I used to own,
the two bits wound themselves over one another and jammed the clutch in the
released position, I was just leaving work at the time, dark and raining,
dressed in most inappropriate clothes for grovelling under a car
(shirt,tie,smart trousers). I don't know whether this is relevant but it was
the only time I ever carried my full tool tray in this (or any other for
that matter) car, so I pushed  it up onto a curb reached under until I could
undo the bleed nipple at which point the old brake fluid squirted up my arm
and ruined the shirt. I got back into the car and then realised that it
would have had the same effect had I simply released the pipe from the
master cylinder, possibly with the exception of turning a shirt into rags!!
Once this was done I then drove the car the 5 miles home using a hastily
devised route avoiding as many junctions as possible, fortunately I only had
to stop once at a junction and though it was on a slight uphill the starter
took me away just fine and these cars are very easy to drive without the use
of a clutch. The moral ,I think, of this story is don't carry a toolkit
around with you and  either the car won't break, or you get a tow home where
you can repair the car properly.

Graham.