Re: Triumph Break Downs

To: amdixon@erols.com, jmwagner@greenheart.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Triumph Break Downs
From: SJagGo@aol.com
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 19:39:47 EST
Great story,

Here's mine.  In September 1982, I drove my Spitfire from Springfield,
Illinois to Seattle and back.  What a trip!  I actually drove to Paradise.
Paradise at the top of Mt. Rainier.  Next down 101 to the Oregon coast and
Cannon Beach and then thru Portland where I bought an aluminum valve cover at
FASPEC's.  The Columbia River Gorge and Multunomah Falls left this Midwestern
lad almost breathless and I was inclined to disregard an increasingly loud
rumble from the proximity of the bonnet.
About 5:30 PM the noise and fumes from my exhaust became too much to take.
Arlington, Oregon--next exit.  An examination showed the exhaust downpipe
flange was cracked about 95% away from the pipe.  A pretty simple weld.  The
service station off the interstate said there were a couple welders in town,
but they closed at 5 PM.  I decided to take a chance and went looking.  All
closed.  I couldn't really drive much further with the exhaust gases that
close to the carb.  I decided my best bet was to look for a rancher or
farmer, maybe somebody with one of the mailbox posts welded from old parts.
BINGO.  Sure enough the first place I stopped a diminutive gentleman of 80+
years came to the door to see what the racket was outside.  He hadn't fired
up his torch in several years, but said if I could get the pipe away from the
gas lines, he'd have a crack (no pun intended) at it. We let it cool over a
glass of lemonade as the sun set and went to work.  Experience counts.  He
did a great job and I was on my way.  Several miles down the interstate I
thought the sunset had ended when the Aurora Borealas-Northern Lights erupted
in unheralded glory in an unrestricted viewing panorama.  At first I thought
maybe the welding flames or latent CO inhalation was causing sight problems
until I realized that delay let me witness one of nature's most magnificent
sights.  I've never seen it since, and may never again, but breakdowns do
have their moments.
Bill Brockschmidt
7 Spits, 1 Jag, 2 Buicks, and a Voyager