Re: bolt removal

To: "List Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: bolt removal
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical-iwnet@lineone.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 11:09:15 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "List Spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Hi All
If you use an impact wrench be sure to use the correct socket for the tool
i.e. the impact variety. They generally have only six flats so they don't
round off the nut / bolt and they don't explode when the nut won't budge.  I
speak from experience here, it was a quality silver socket that I thought
would be ok as it was only a small nut. the thing exploded into about six
bits fortunately none of them coming towards my eyes as I couldn't have
dodged them if they did (foot wells are so small when your upside down).
Also I decided that safety specs were not such a hindrance after all!!
As some one posted the other day," learn from others mistakes we don't have
time to make them all for ourselves".

Graham.