Re: weber flow meter's

To: triumphs@mcleodusa.net
Subject: Re: weber flow meter's
From: "Donald H. Locker" <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 17:21:27 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
The carbs and flowmeters really don't matter much as to which range of
flow to design/select for.  What counts is the displacement of the
engine, the RPM of interest, and the volumetric efficiency (into which
parameter I will toss effects of less-than-wide-open throttle.)

use (displacement * RPM/2) * volumetric efficiency = volume flow rate

For round numbers, most non-race-prepared engines will have a maximum
volumetric efficiency at wide-open throttle and torque-peak RPM of
about 80%.  If you want to flow substantially more than that (say at
power-peak RPM) just use the larger RPM and don't worry about the
volumetric efficiency too much.

e.g. (1296 cc * 6000RPM/2) * 0.80 = 3110400 cc/min or 3110 litres/min
which is the same as (79.1 CI * 6000/2) * 0.80 = 189840 in3/min
                                              or 110 cfm

If you are concerned about tests at idle or small part-throttle
conditions, it would be fairly safe to assume that air flow rate is
proportional to horsepower, so a road-load power requirement of 20 HP
in the example engine (with the ability to produce 80 HP max) would
probably use about or a little more than 27.5 CFM or 780 litres/min.

Donald.