Re: Rocker shaft

To: "John Linnerth" <jklinn@kw.igs.net>
Subject: Re: Rocker shaft
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical-iwnet@lineone.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 22:38:32 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "List Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi John
As a rule of thumb it is normally the hard bit that wears the most so a new
shaft will cure more of the problem than new rockers, however the old
rockers could do for your shaft PDQ so I would say get the rockers as well
or you could get them bushed out if this will be cheaper by the time you add
shipping, I am looking to do the same job on my PI sedan, but am thinking of
going for some Torrington needle bearings in the rockers as I think they
will hold their own supply of oil to cope with those dry / low supply
moments. I will be doing the work myself and will probably make a jig up for
boring the holes. does any one out there have any views on this route?
Cheers
Graham.
Ps the theory behind the hard bits wearing first is that bits of hard embed
themselves in the softer material then act as an abrasive on the hard,
causing more bits to embed etc etc.