TR6 A/C fuel pump stripped thread fix.

To: "'Triumph Digest List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 A/C fuel pump stripped thread fix.
From: John Jacobsen-Watts <johnw@wrq.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 08:44:37 -0800 charset="iso-8859-1"
Thanks to all who sent their tips to fix the stripped threads in the body of
my TR6 A/C fuel pump.

I pulled the pump, tapped the body out to 8x1.25 metric, followed this up
with a bottom tap to get as many threads as possible, then put blue loctite
on a Grade5 bolt of 2" in length. Let the whole thing set up for a hour,
then cut head off of bolt so that I now have an over-long stud from the body
proper. Next, a dry fitting of copper washer, fiber washer, and nut. Set the
length of the stud according to this arrangement, then cut the stud down to
allow for a domed 8.1.25 nut at the top (looks sharp!).

So the whole arrangement cost about $6.00; $30.00 if you include the rebuild
kit I'd already put in the pump. Idle is now very steady, zero leaks, and
everyone is happy that our garage doesn't smell like gas (Gawd I hate
gasoline headaches!).

Again, thanks to this invaluable resource of listers!

John
johnw@wrq.com

Yes I am working on the hardtop rebuild writeup!