valve stem oil seals

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, Spitlist@gte.net
Subject: valve stem oil seals
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 17:05:27 EST
On Mon, 07 Feb 2000 18:08:15 -0700
Joe Curry
Schrieb Re: Valve guide seals for TR6

Kyle,
I think I'd be having second thoughts about who you selected to build
your engine. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe the
TR6 engine has valve seals.

Regards,
Joe

"Kyle K. Rice" wrote:

> Listers,
>
> I just got a call from the machine shop that it rebuilding my TR6 engine.
> They said that when they put on the new Valve Guide Seals, the inner valve
> springs will not fit. They asked if I knew which valve seal I should be
> using to fit inside the inner spring. Can anyone give me the part number or
> something I can tell the machine shop to help them put the correct seals on
> the valve stems. The also thought there may be a different valve spring set
> that may need to be used. If that is true, what valve springs should I tell
> them to use.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Kyle.

Although TR6 and Vitesse/GT6 engines did not originally come fitted with
valve stem oil seals. However, to help prevent oil exiting via the valve
guides, (nowadays the phosphor bronze valve guides and stainless steel valves
often have a little more clearance than original, ostensibly to help avoid
sticking when using modern lead free fuel)...ask me how I know!

You may use Teflon Valve Stem Oil Seals on the inlet valves only.

 I have some from Payen
- part of AE Engine Parts Worldwide, aka AE Auto Parts Ltd, part of T&N PLC...
(whatever happened to Automotive Engineering?)

The bag says

HR 631

1 set (6)

769

I got them from John Kipping Triumph Spares of Coventry, England,

As soon as i get the cylinder head off to have unleaded valve seats fitted, I
will fit them.

Regards

Léon F Guyot

Triumph Sports Six Club
International Liaison Secretary
1963 Triumph Vitesse 2-Litre Convertible
Wimbledon, London, England.