Re: I'm back.

Subject: Re: I'm back.
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 15:17:54 -0800
Cc: "'triumphs list'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Chris :

Welcome back !

Some possible solutions for your brake problem :

1) Find a bleed screw (with a pointy end) that fits the new threads
you've cut.  Many American cars and trucks used these in larger sizes,
try your local parts store.

2) Find (or cut) a bolt short enough to pull up on the surface of the
caliper, and put a copper washer under the head for sealing.

3) Since you've already tapped oversize, a Heli-coil type insert
probably will no longer work.  However, there are thicker solid inserts
available.  McMaster Carr ( http://www.mcmaster.com/ ) has a variety of
them.

4) Buy a used caliper from the usual suspects.  Revington TR mentions
rebuilt calipers available.

5) There has been some discussion of a quad piston caliper from a Toyota
truck that will apparently fit a TR6 with minor modifications.  I
haven't tried it (yet <g>), but it's possible it could be made to fit a
TR3 as well.  (Might have to change the mount and disc to TR4-6 units,
and find mounting bolts from a late TR6.  You'll also have to do both
sides, to keep the braking equal.)

6) Revington TR sells a "4 pot caliper conversion" for the TR3A.

Hope this helps
Randall
59 TR3A daily driver