Pulley Factor-TR-4 Alternator Swap

To: "'Z27407@aol.com'" <Z27407@aol.com>, "'Triumphs@autox.team.net'" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pulley Factor-TR-4 Alternator Swap
From: "Taffel, Sherman" <STaffel@bcps.k12.md.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 11:49:58 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Hi Paul

You raise an interesting point! I have just installed the new Wiring
Harness, and read the posts, the archives and the recent list comments on
the Swap, I know the GM alternator and caught the wiring color/size
differences as posted by Dan MAsters, and he confirmed I was correct, said
he sent the corrections to VTR 18 mo. ago.
I don't recall any discussion @ the GM pulley being a problem.
I will re-examine the pulley on the alternator, and my new cogged belt from
MOSS.  FYI, the GM Alternator, Fiero style has two pulleys, the early one
(like on our 2M4) is a Standard V pully. The later one, (like on my 2M6) is
ribbed, so that won't work at all. Somehow, I didn't feel the new belt I got
from Moss- 'Cogged' would be a problem/ I do recall someone saying to use a
smaller pulley than the TR Generator Pulley to 'UP THE RPM's' of the
alternator at idle -ensuring more charge. I can tell you the new 'Cogged'
belt did not appear as wide and fat as the old old Non-Cogged TR-4 belts
from the 60's/70's, which is what was on the engine when I began the
restoration and 'top overhaul'.

I'll be going up (north) to the Hanger on Sat (every Sat is TR restoration
day) and advise any concerns, if any!

Sherman