Re: TR6 Clutch Question - disc alignment

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Clutch Question - disc alignment
From: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 16:03:54 -0500

I used an alignment tool for my first clutch R&R.  Found out that I can align it
better - more concentric - by eye instead of using a tool.   Maybe the problem
was an undersize diameter on the tool .  I have R&Red the clutch on about a
dozen different cars with out using an alignment tool,  including the 4 LBCs
that I have owned.

 I very lightly snug up the pressure plate so that it just holds the clutch disc
from slipping.  I use a large screwdriver or sometimes a piece of rod to adjust
the disc as needed (screwdriver or rod tip slipped into the pilot bearing and
push the clutch disc as needed.  I gun sight the splines on the disc to the bore
of the pilot bushing so that the two items are concentric.  Takes about two
minutes.  Tighten up the pressure plate and double check concentricity (never
had it change but its too much effort to get the trans almost in only to find
out there is a problem).  An alternative method is to check the concentricity of
the OD of the clutch disc to the OD of the mating surface on the pressure plate.
These items are usually within a 1/16 in. in diameter to each other.

.....Is there a way to align the clutch without the clutch alignment tool?   I
used my fingers as a guide off the face plate of the flywheel...is that good
enough?

Jonathan.