Alternator swap

To: "triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Alternator swap
From: "David Lee" <davelee1@home.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 17:33:53 -0800
I spent the day putting on my new GM alternator on the TR4
All went well except I was dumb enough to use 4 nylocs on the threaded stock
holding the alternator on.  It was a little difficult getting the nuts where
I wanted them.  I should have used the nylocs on the ends and regular nuts
with locwashers in the middle.  The electrical is very easy thanks to Dan
Masters and with a few grindings I was able to get the pulleys all on the
same plane.

I did run into two problems Im still trying to resolve.  First the tensioner
arm is not round enough to align the slot with the bolt hole.  I will
probably have to grind it down a little rounder.  Second and most
discouraging is that I was lucky enough to find a cheap pulley for the wide
belt but the belt is too short.  I went to a couple parts stores to try and
match a belt that might work.  The closest I found is from Pep Boys and is
just a hair skinnier than the stock belt.  I will have to go back since the
two belts I picked up were both too long.  The difference in thickness
allowed the belt to ride a little deeper in the pulleys.  I know I shouldnt
allow the belt to bottom out.  The ones I purchased as mentioned are a
little thinner.  about  3/32".  This seems fine in the water pump pulley and
perfect on the alternator but looks to bottom out on the crankshaft pulley
which is a lot wider than the others.  Still the sides of the belt are tight
in the groove and there might be a slim chance that it isnt touching the
bottom.

How bad would it be to use the PepBoys belt?  Where might one find a correct
belt of this size and length? Randall are you going to say McMasters?! =)
And finally if I needed to use the pep boys belt temporarily how long could
I go without having to really worry and what signs should I check.  Is it
because the belt will wear faster or just not have enough friction to turn?
When I put the belt on the Crank pulley and try to pull one side it doesnt
budge so friction is okay.

Thanks for all the help.

David Lee