Re: 76 tr6 compression

Subject: Re: 76 tr6 compression
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 23:36:27 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

Dan Buettner wrote:

> That being said, my Bentley manual quotes 8.5:1 for the compression
> ratio on my TR3 and also quotes 120 psi as the compression pressure.
> If you do the math, those numbers would indicate 96% volumetric
> efficiency based on 14.7 psi atmospheric pressure.  (so maybe I'm
> full of it)

In addition to the heating affecting the pressure reading, it's entirely
likely that the VE is higher at cranking speeds than at peak power (for
a 'normal' engine).

The compression gauge you use will also make a difference, as some
project into the plug hole/cylinder less than others (thereby changing
the effective CR).

Just two more reasons why only comparative measurements are meaningful.

Randall