76 tr6 compression

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 76 tr6 compression
From: Canada <canada@voyageronline.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 00 07:33:53 -0000
Hi, Listers--

The engine in my '76 has 53K on it and is starting to act tired (OK, even
more tired).  I'll probably have it rebuilt in the next year or so.  Does
anybody know how a carb engine performs with a big increase in
compression ratio, say to 9.0 or 9.5:1, a mild comp cam and horsepower
stoked up to 150 or 160?  I know these were typical specs for the PI TRs
but I'm curious how they work with two or three carbs.  How reliable are
they and any idea how long they last?  (I've heard from a local club that
the "tractor engine" needs to be rebuilt every 65K miles or so--does
higher compression accelerate this?)  I've been talking to shops who do
the entire rebuild and some have considerable experience with TRs.  Just
wanted some opinions of people who are currently driving pumped up cars
like this.

Thanks.

Ian
CF57345