Review: Gasket Remover by Permatex

To: "The List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Review: Gasket Remover by Permatex
From: "Steve Nabors" <topdown@eudoramail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 23:42:58 -0800
I tried getting the gasket off my oil pan last night using a razor blade(in a
holder like painters use to clean windows). My fingers cramped up a few times.
Some if came off as a whole and some ripped here and there. I applied the
gasket remover and let it soak over night. I reapplied it today and let is soak
about 5 minutes and started scraping. It seemed to work best on areas where the
gasket ripped(the porous areas soaked up the remover and disolved) and where it
could get under the gasket to break the bond to the metal. Essentially it broke
the gasket down into what looked like wet toilet paper. On thick gasket
areas(not ripped) it took a couple of extra dressings to get it off. Scraping
is not eliminated but alleviated.

My fingers thanked me for the $2.96 spray bottle of gasket remover. I got up
under the car tonight to get as much of the gasket stuck to the bottom of the
engine as I could and then held my breath and goosed it down with the gasket
remover. I'll let it soak over night and easily scrape the remainder away
tomorrow. This is where it will really shines when your laying on your back
with the engine over you. Its worth it.

Steve Nabors
B'ham AL
'74 TR6