all went well with '57 TR3 pipe removal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: all went well with '57 TR3 pipe removal
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 20:13:29 -0600
My thanks to all who responded -- the general consensus was to try to
replace them, though a couple of folks wisely pointed out that I
should make sure replacements are indeed available before beginning.
(Moss, at least, sells them.  Haven't checked others yet.)  Ken
Nuelle also pointed out that they'd be easy to make from scratch if
necessary, just so long as I kept the fittings.

All of the pipe fittings came out, though it was necessary to clip
one pipe as the fitting had fused to it and I was twisting the pipe
as I turned the wrench.  There were a few tense moments on one bleed
screw, but eventually it came out.  One bleed screw socket (for lack
of a better term) appears to have been helicoiled -- probably not a
big deal.

I did snap off one of the screws that was holding on the pad
retainers, but then it's obvious that someone else did the same thing
long ago with one of the two on each caliper -- one hole on each is
gouged out, and there's only one retaining clip on each.  So I'll
have to see a machine shop about that ... shouldn't be too bad.

3 of the 4 pistons came out without too much effort.  The 4th is
being stubborn, though now I can attack it from behind by spraying PB
Blaster right into the piston chamber.  Isn't there some sort of tool
to make removing these things easy??  I'm using a combination of a
big pliers and a large flat-blade screwdriver (prying in the lip).

Again, thanks everybody.

Dan
Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U, now with an O too. Runs & drives, but shakes
like crazy; needs new tires and a steering/suspension rebuild.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nickndan/gmachine/greenmachine.html

1957 TR3, TS15098L. Needs an O. Undergoing frame-off restoration begun 9/99.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nickndan/TR3/TR3.html

1988 Honda Civic 4WD Wagon. Gets me to work and back home again every day.
No home page. (go figure)