Re: TR6 Clutch Question - disc alignment

To: "scott s." <75270_3703a@csi.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Clutch Question - disc alignment
From: erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 10:11:48 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Mmdf-warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line at mail.virginia.edu

For what it's worth, I have always used a tool.  With the trannys on the
Triumphs, it is such a bear to wrestle it into position, finally drive it
home, plus the risk of cracking the bell housing, I don't like to take the
chance.

When using the tools, you have to keep in mind that the weight of the disk
hanging on the tool will cause to tool to tilt down at a slight angle.
Secondly, remember that the pilot bearing has a small amount of play in it
also, especially if it is not replaced.  Together, these two factors can
cause the disk to be off center just enough to cause problems.  The
solution:  when tightening the pressure plate housing, before there is any
pressure on the disk, hold the alignment tool up, so that it is coming
out from the flywheel at a true 90 degree angle.  Then you should be able
to slide the input pinion right into the pilot bearing, and by twisting
the output of the trans, get the splines to go smoothly into the disk.

Cheers.

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, scott s. wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Feb 2000 16:03:54 -0500,
> Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca wrote:
> >
> >I used an alignment tool for my first clutch R&R.  Found out that I
> can align it
> >better - more concentric - by eye instead of using a tool.   Maybe
> the problem
> >was an undersize diameter on the tool .  I have R&Red the clutch
> on about a
> >dozen different cars with out using an alignment tool,  including the
> 4 LBCs
> >that I have owned.
> >

> A couple years ago I did a clutch on my "modern" iron.  I got my
> clutch kit from NAPA and it came with the alignment tool.  This
> tool, while plastic, was very well made in that I could hang the
> clutch on it and it wouldn't move around at all.  I had confidence
> that I could bolt up the pressure plate and all go well.
>
> The TR6 alignment tools I have had weren't so well made,
> in that while in place with the clutch on it, it would "droop"
> unless held up -- and I found that unless I was very careful
> the disc would end up offset enough to not let the tranny
> slide in.
>
> scott s.
> .

James A. Ruffner