Re: TR3 - electrical fire

Subject: Re: TR3 - electrical fire
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 07:48:07 -0800
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Adrian :

I've never understood why the British auto designers hated fuses so much
!  I have a friend who almost lost his MGA due to an electrical fire.
I've even got a document written by Laycock that talks about how the OD
controls should not be fused in case the fuse blows and causes the
engine to overspeed !

Anyway, Yes, I think it is an excellent idea to add fuses to both the
ignition and head/taillight circuits.  I added a 25 amp (US rating)
cicuit breaker into the wire that leads from the voltage regulator to
the headlight switch, under the dash where it can't be seen.  It works
fine for me, but I've also got separate relays (with their own fused
power leads) for the halogen headlights and radiator fan.  If you add
any significant electrical upgrades, you may want to increase to 30 or
35 amps.

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO daily driver
Lakewood, CA