Re: [RE: Triumphs USENET Newsgroup?]

To: "Mark Gendron" <markgendron@earthlink.net>, "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [RE: Triumphs USENET Newsgroup?]
From: Brian Furgalus <triumph.tr7@usa.net>
Date: 4 Mar 00 21:43:47 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
NO ARCHIVE

Mark and others,

While I agree that email lists are not the most conveniant means to view this
sort of discussion, It probably still is the most accessable.  For those of
you who have a POP3 account (using Netscape Messager or similar), you should
be able to configure the program so you can view email threads as THREADS, so
all messages of the same thread are arranged in a hierarchal format.  You'd
obviously have to be on the real-time list for this to work, but with
approprate filters to guide the TR list mail to it's own folder, it's not that
bad.  Trust me!

My thought:  why doesn't Mark B. move the lists off of TEAM.NET and put them
on one of those public email list services that would take care of all the
hosting and administrative activities?  This would surely give Mark some
much-needed time off!

Just a thought,
Brian

"Mark Gendron" <markgendron@earthlink.net> wrote:

I don't think that the Triumphs list is "broke." However, I do think
that the concept of e-mail lists is outdated; they hearken from a time
when it was common for people to have access to Internet mail, but not
to Usenet. I find it difficult and inconvenient to wade through the
daily list digest to follow a particular thread that interests me.
I don't even want to think about how my mailbox would look with a
"realtime" list subscription.

I would be willing to pay a modest annual subscription (five to ten
bucks) in exchange for password access to a private news server with
the various team.net LBC lists. Limiting access to list members would
solve the spam problem. Since anyone who wishes can subscribe to the
LBC lists, address harvesting should be no more of a problem than it
is with the current list.