Re: Clutch problem

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutch problem
From: john.j.reed@gm.com
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 09:22:26 -0500

Thanks for the many responses to my clutch problem.  I started to bleed the
master cylinder at the outlet pipe, but the fitting which hasn't been removed in
the 21 years that I've owned the car needed more encouragement to come loose
than I was prepared to give.  Instead I thought I would try a bleeding technique
that a friend at work suggested.  I opened the slave cylinder bleeder enough
that the fluid freely flowed out.  I kept the master cylinder full and let the
fluid flow through.  After three or four ounces flowed through the system, I
closed the bleeder and the clutch worked perfectly!   I don't know why the other
techniques didn't get the air out.  It doesn't seem right that something so easy
would fix the problem.

I have sold this car to my nephew who is in the Navy at Norfolk.   He's coming
to Cincinnati to drive it home on March 20.  The car is the chassis of CT72L and
the body of CT26222L (but with the short bubble hood).   You know your car is in
bad shape when you upgrade with a body from a local junk yard.  This was my only
car in high school and college;  I'm probably going to regret selling it.  This
is his first British car, I'm sure it will be learning experience for him.   Is
there a Triumph club in the Norfolk area that I could put in contact with?   By
the way I also have an '87 VW cabriolet for sale that I've owned since new.
It's in very good shape - never driven in snow or salt.  I've decided garage
space is too expensive and I need to reduce the size of my collection.

John Reed