Re: what's a "gulp valve"?

To: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>, LaJoMor@aol.com
Subject: Re: what's a "gulp valve"?
From: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 16:56:20 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Michael,
        You are correct, what is pictured (FVP2003/11) is not a gulp valve
despite
Smith's own packaging. In fact, if you go to their catalog they call that
part number a "crankcase emission valve". A _gulp_ valve was used on MGBs
and had several ports of different diameters (FVP2301), as well as a
"crankcase emission valve" (FVP2003/10) that is similar to the Triumph one.
 So, a CEV = a PCV?
        This does fit a GT6, btw AKA   151658.
Peter C
----
At 04:10 PM 3/10/2000 , Michael D. Porter wrote:
>>LaJoMor@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> Moss lists it as a PCV valve as does Victoria British. I think the term
"gulp
>> valve" is British, not American slang.
>> Moss lists it for TR250 application for $17.95 while Victoria British lists
>> it at $59.95. I don't quite understand why the great difference.
>
>If they are listing a PCV valve as a "gulp" valve, or vice-versa, that's
>incorrect. A "gulp" valve is indeed American slang for a diverter valve,
>sometimes called, in earlier days, an anti-backfire valve.
        <snip good info, go back if you missed it>