TR3 Head Gasket Update

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: TR3 Head Gasket Update
From: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 20:58:37 -0500
Hi folks,
Well, the head is off and lying on the garage floor.  Phew!

The easy bit was getting everything out the way, thanks to Randall's tip to
leave the carbs connected.

The tough part was actually lifting the head off.  After the
"rope-down-the-plug-hole" trick,  I then resorted to tapping in small
wooden wedges (from some clothes pegs),  eventually leading up to a 2x4
lever.

The gasket actually had broken along that thin strip from #3 hole to the
water hole (next to #2).  This jives with the #3 plug being visibly  soaked
with coolant when I first became aware of the problem.  Also, there is a
slight deposit here on the liner that is not present anywhere else.

Should I just clean up as best I can and put in a new gasket,  or should I
take the head to a shop and have them clean it and check it out?  If so,
whats the proper ettiquette - can I leave it all oily and horrible in a
plastic garbage bag or should I make some attempt at cleaning it up before
bringing it to the shop?

Many Thanks,  Adrian  (That head is quite heavy, isn't it!)