Bought pistons and liners / timing cover insulation

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Bought pistons and liners / timing cover insulation
From: Gbouff1@aol.com
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 19:55:04 EST
I took the plunge and purchased a set of 87mm pistons and liners from British
Parts Northwest.  I placed the order at about 4:30 PM their time and they
said the order would go out that day.  Now that's service!  The parts should
arrive this coming Wednesday or Thursday as they have to travel 3000 miles.
The price was reasonable, and several members of the list stated that these
liners are of excellent quality and fit.  Very similiar in design as Mahle.

My question to the list.  Is there an archive or site that gives a detailed
description on installing pistons and liners?  If they go in as easy as the
ones that I took out today, it will be a snap.  Any words of wisdom as to
do's and don'ts?  By the way, the ones I removed are in excellent shape with
a lot of meat left, as they are the original 83mm standard bore.  They would
be a great buy for anyone that has access to a reasonably priced machine
shop. Let me know offline if anyone wants to purchase them.

>From all of the responses on the list, it appears that Triumph took a random
position  as far as applying sound-proofing goes.  For now, I will leave my
cover without the sound insulation, as that was how it was before
restoration.  I can always add it later if I find new evidence to the
contrary.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Gary Bouffard
59 TR3A (soon to be a go cart)