NT: BMW/Rover

To: "Leon Guyot" <GuyotLeonF@aol.com>
Subject: NT: BMW/Rover
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 20:09:43 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Friends of Triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>
Leon Guyot wrote:
My friends, you may think that this story doesn't perhaps impact on you and
your Triumph cars, but don't you believe it. The name Triumph, your spare
parts, and the licence to produce them, is wholly owned by messrs BMW...

Leon, for as long as BMW holds the purse strings, I would agree. What many fail
to realise
is that all former trademarks (and these are still registered and as current in
terms of
authorised for commercial use or violation as that of IBM or McDonalds) would
eventually
revert back to BMIHT if BMW pulled out altogether. If that does happen, and the
world will
know tomorrow, those trademarks revert back to BMIHT. When the Trust was formed
in 1975
which is personified in the existence of Gaydon and everything within it, that
means
trademarks, vehicles and the archive in its many forms are inviolate. Under
British Law,
these belong to everyone and no-one at the same time. This means that BMW can
never claim
their absolute ownership. What's more, all 25 million engineering drawings in
the archive
at Gaydon remain BMIHT property in perpetuity. Gaydon and the Trust which
administers it
is part of the "accompanied luggage" that comes with Rover. It was precisely
with this
eventuality in mind that Leyland Cars set up British Motor Heritage Limited,
together with
the Trust and the Charity within it, when the collection was first formed in
1975.

Jonmac