RE: Distilled Water is BAD??

To: "List Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Distilled Water is BAD??
From: "The Brooks'" <TR3A@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 21:44:36 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
First, the M-B anti-freeze I have in my garage is no more than 3
months old and does not say anything about the quality of water
you need to mix with it.  It does recommend changing it at least
every three years though.  I change it every other year.

De-ionized water is definitely mineral hungry, but while it will
not attack metal, it will wreak havoc on concrete or anything
with lime (or other dissolvable) in it.  I've seen this damage.
It's unbelievable.

I've been using M-B coolant for about 8 years and I (almost)
always use distilled water; no damage so far.  I just changed out
the original thermostat (yeah, I know... 11 years) in my 1988
Saab, and there was a total lack of salt buildup anywhere on the
thermostat or the housing, which had a beautiful shiny new
looking aluminum surface inside, compete with casting parting
lines which were nicely ground flush, by some dedicated Swedish
automotive worker.  Cool!

Distilled water, M-B coolant and Redline WaterWetter in all my
vehicles,

Jack Brooks
Hillsdale, NJ
1960 TR3A TS69032LO