Driving Impressions

To: TR List <Triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: Driving Impressions
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 14:42:47 -0500
Driving impressions: TR3 with Overdrive.  And heater.

Today is the first day I have driven the TR3 with the new transmission with
working syncros, overdrive and a working heater.  What a difference the
extra gearing makes.  After getting used to driving the car with out the
overdrive one finds oneself suprised at the effortless speed one attains.
After entering the freeway I glanced down at the tach and noticed the
engine speed at 2500 RPM (which I knew from the exhaust note).  But then I
glanced at the speedometer and it read 60 MPH!  Wow.

This is the same feeling I had 10 years ago when I put overdrive in the
TR6.  That overdrive is a J-type where this one is an A-type.  The amount
of speed reduction is about the same but after 10 years of driving a J-type
I have gotten used to the delay on actuation that the J-type exhibits.  I
have instinctively gotten into the habit of switching the O/D on early so
that it kicks in when desired.

The instantaneous actuation of the A-type catches me off guard by kicking
in almost before I have moved the switch all the way to the ON position.
That's what comes with the accumulator that is lacking in the J-type.

At any rate, the operation was a success.  A side benefit is the new
speedometer cable fixed the palsy in the speedometer which now reads rock
steady at all speeds.

What a joy to drive.

Dave