Re: aftermarket cam & valve lash

To: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Subject: Re: aftermarket cam & valve lash
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 11:29:34 -0700
Cc: Triumphcars <Triumphcars@onelist.com>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>

Douglas Frank wrote:

> Hello the camp,
>
> The PO of my GT6 told me that he'd had installed a Kent cam that he'd
> got from VB.  Unfortunately I don't have the paperwork that came with
> the cam, so I don't really know anything about it.

I believe, at the time VB was selling Kent cam kits for both GT6 and
Spitfire, they offered a range of kits for the Spitfire, but only one
grind for the GT6, Kent's TH2.

> But I got to wondering, wouldn't dropping in a new cam change the valve
> clearance spec?  Bentley's calls for .010" for the factory cam.  Does
> anyone have any idea what it should be with a Kent?

Quite right. Specs for what I believe is the correct grind are:

Cam Lift:  6.62mm (0.260")
Lift at Valve: (0.390") (1.50:1 Rocker Ratio)
295 deg. duration
Timing: 39/76/76/39
Inlet Timing at full lift: 108 deg.
Clearance: 0.36mm (0.014") Inlet, 0.46mm (0.018") Exhaust

Cheers.

--

Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM